Day 96

It’s been awhile between blogs!
I’ve been run off my feet ….

I recently passed Day 96. This milestone was the end of the 1st leg – the run from Melbourne up the east coast, covering a total of 3,776kms.

This was the easy leg. I say this because I had accommodation of some description most nights, only camping about five nights. I had nine rest days (seven planned); I had a ‘recovery’ day after some ‘food poisoning’ in Brisbane, and I had a spare day in Clairview after running 70kms.

From the east coast, I’ll be heading to Broome, which will (should) take 84 days. Accommodation has been arranged (mostly) for the 32 nights where there is any, with the remaining 52 nights camping. The Intrepid II will also have almost doubled in weight with 50L of water, plus food.

There will be an updated schedule online shortly. I’ll no longer be attempting the Savannah Way after Normanton, deciding the 500+kms of gravel/dirt/dusty road too arduous. I’ll be sticking to the sealed road via Cloncurry, Mt Isa to Tennant Creek, then up to Katherine.
It will be interesting to see if I recognise any of this portion of the Stuart H’way, having run up here in 2017.

Posted in

6 Comments

1. Avatar Dean McGrath on July 6, 2019 at 5:26 am

Keep it up mate. It’s a huge challenge.
    Stay safe. Thanks for the chat Bourke and Wills Roadhouse Four ways central north Queensland and Cloncurry.

Dean and Roxy 👍

• Andre Jones Andre Jones on July 6, 2019 at 6:08 am

Hey Dean
      Thank you very much for keeping in contact 👍🏾😎

2. Avatar Nick & Sue on July 7, 2019 at 9:17 am

Hey Mate, met you in Cloncurry This morning , great to chat with you, it’s truly a great thing you’re doing, more power to you 💪💪 , we will be tracking you from now on, stay safe , Nick & Sue

• Andre Jones Andre Jones on July 7, 2019 at 9:38 am

Hi Nick and Sue
      Lovely to meet you both, and glad to have you aboard. 😎👍🏾

3. Avatar Brenden on July 8, 2019 at 10:04 am

Saw you at the under rated Fountain Springs Rest Area. Hope you made it to Mount Isa. I can not understand how you were up so early, packed and off. It was barely light. Was it the cows mooing , or the flies buzzing, the gravel ground too soft or just maybe the road trains passing 3 metres from your tent. A beer helps.

• Andre Jones Andre Jones on July 20, 2019 at 5:00 pm

Hey Brendan
      Thank you for the chat that night, and the beer 😎
      Apologies for the late reply.