What has gone before

Why do I think I can run around Australia?

There are a surprising number of extreme athletes out there; about 10 people (males and females) have run around Australia, and many more have run across – either east-west or west-east.

In fact, there are about a dozen people who have run around the world.

Yes, the world!

I don’t mean they’ve done a marathon race on all continents, or in dozens of countries (which has been done many times), I mean they start at point A and head across the globe and finish at point A. There are about 10 guidelines to qualify for a world run, some being;

• cross every longitude;
  • run at least 50% of the distance;
  • cross four continents;
  • a minimum of 3,000kms on each continent;
  • cross two antipodes (opposite sides of the world);
  • and cover 26,232kms.

So, put that into perspective when you consider a paltry 15,000km run –  I’m not even leaving the country – but why do I think I can run around Australia? Solo?

Well, I’ve already done my ‘warm-up’.

Back in March 2017, I ran solo from Melbourne to Darwin for Beyond Blue. With no proper training, other than running to and from work, I covered the 3,700kms over 93 days. The same guidelines I applied then will be applied on my next challenge.
I’m not breaking records in speed, just covering the daily distance; I didn’t really  push myself  too hard simply because I needed to do the same thing each and every day.

This is why I’m confident of success … albeit this challenge is almost four times as long.

(oh, and my buggy – ‘Intrepid II’– will be vastly different!)

Some stats

The injuries sustained over that period were: one ant-bite (which later became infected), one blister (quite large) and a bit of chaffing.

I lost 11kgs – weighed 86kilos in Darwin.

Longest day was 63kms

Longest running streak (no rest) 26 days – 1075kms.

6 Comments

1. Avatar Steve Popely on March 11, 2019 at 10:06 am

Hey Andre,

I saw you leave yesterday from the MCG on Sunrise and today in Pakenham, I was the fella on the white motorbike giving you a toot and a wave!

A LONG road ahead mate but I personally wish you nothing but the best.

I’ll donate to support the amazing effort you’re putting in!

Reach for the stars
    Steve (Popes)

SP 2 Stroke Motorcycle Parts & Imports

• Andre Jones Andre Jones on March 11, 2019 at 11:14 am

Hi Popes
      Thanks for the ‘toot’ and 👍🏽👍🏽
      Glad to have you aboard 😎🇦🇺🏃🏼‍♂️👍🏾

• Avatar Bonnie on March 13, 2019 at 3:19 am

Hi Andre,
      I heard your interview on ABC radio then read about you in the Age. I have been sharing your journey with my family, especially my 3 young kids as I think what your doing is very inspiring. Then to our pleasant surprise we saw you running into Traralgon as we were driving home from a family holiday in Merimbula! That was us tooting and giving you the thumbs up in the white car!!! Good luck. We hope you achieve your goal 😀

• Andre Jones Andre Jones on April 17, 2019 at 11:24 am

Hi Bonnie
        A very late reply here! 🥺
        Thank you very much. I hope your kids are inspired to do something extraordinary one day 🙃😊

2. Avatar Marie on April 17, 2019 at 5:42 am

Hi Andre! This is so admirable, well done, inspiring and truly extraordinary!
    May I ask about your buggy, “The Intrepid”: is it custom made? Are there other models? Where do you procure it from – if you did?
    Kuddos, all the best for your run – and looking fwd to your answer if you have time for it!
    Marie

• Andre Jones Andre Jones on April 17, 2019 at 11:18 am

Hi Marie
      Thank you for your message, kind words, and interest in the buggy – Intrepid II.
      I guess you can call it ‘custom made’ as there’s nothing similar.
      The chassis is a modified recumbent bike (from 3 wheels to 4). The body is a fibreglass shell from a HPV (basically a racing recumbent). I modified the shell, reducing its length from 3.5mto 1.3m, and it’s width to sit within the wheels, this way the buggy is only .66m wide and will fit through doorways.